For those individuals that are in need of the Meals on Wheels program, the only requirements to be eligible for this program are individuals must be 60 years of age and home bound. To contact Western Oakland Meals on Wheels Program, please call 888-886-8971 or 810-632-2155.
If you are a senior citizen in need of transportation or are an individual with a disability and need a wheelchair accessible van, this service may be able to help you……
Any senior age 55 years and older OR any person with a disability living in Clarkston, Independence & Springfield Townships.
WHAT SHOULD I DO?
Call (248) 625-8231, Monday - Friday, 8:00 am - 5:00 pm to make arrangements.
WHEN SHOULD I CALL?
For medical appointment, call for a ride when appointment is made. Please call at least two days in advance to allow for scheduling for all other rides. If you need the handicap accessible van please specify at the time of your call.
First pick-up is 8:15 am and last pick-up is 4:00 pm.
WHERE CAN I GO?
You can travel anywhere within Independence or Springfield Townships OR to the following locations:
Meijer’s and Great Lakes Crossing Mall - Tuesdays
Pick up at home between 9:30 am- 10:30 am
Pick up from Meijer’s at 1:30 pm
WHAT MEDICAL CENTERS ARE INCLUDED?
- Doctors’ Hospital of Michigan (formerly North Oakland)
- Pontiac Osteopathic Hospital
- Pontiac St. Joseph’s Hospital
- New Clarkston Medical Building and Great Lakes Cancer Center
- A potential rider must fill out a medical form before using this service.
- A $3.00 donation is requested for each one way trip ($6.00 round trip). $5.00 each way for hospital trips.
- Drivers cannot alter the schedule. Riders must be ready 15 minutes in advance and waiting at the door.
- Drivers cannot transport medical emergencies (call 911), nor can they pick-up or deliver medications.
- Drivers cannot enter private residences or assist clients in getting ready. Assistance with packages on the return will be given to the front door only.
- Drivers cannot bring people in wheelchairs over door sills, down stairs or across grass or gravel. Please make sure wheelchair riders are accessible or make sure someone is home to assist them to the van.
- Drivers cannot lift the passengers, so please do not ask them to do so.
- Riders’ driveways must be salted and plowed in inclement weather.
- Rider with cognitive impairments may be advised to have a caregiver accompany them.
- For a printout of the Senior Transportation information, click HERE.
Come Join the 50+ Active Adults Group! Enjoy a fun and friendly atmosphere filled with activities such as weekly lunches, guest speakers, musical performances, field trips, holiday parties, movies, bingo, games and much, much more! Yearly membership includes 6 newsletters per year. Non-members are welcome to attend as well. For additional information on the group or possible upcoming trips, please contact Sarah at the Parks and Recreation office at (248) 846-6558.
A membership form must be completed and submitted. Annual membership includes six newsletters a year.
- When: Thursdays, 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. (Lunch Served at Noon)
- Where: Hart Community Center in Davisburg
- Ages: 50 years & older OR individuals with disabilities of any age
- Fee: Yearly membership: $ 8.00 per person or $14 per couple, Regular weekly lunches: $5 per person, Additional fees may be required for special luncheons
For more information please call Sarah at 248-846-6558
Trips: For more information on other trips please call Kathy at 248-846-6558, or tune in to our cable channel (Comcast Channel 22)
Meals on Wheels: For those individuals that are in need of the Meals on Wheels program, the only requirements to be eligible for this program are individuals must be 60 years of age and home bound. To contact Western Oakland Meals on Wheels Program, please call 888-886-8971 or 810-632-2155.
Springfield Township residents 50 and over can purchase one-year memberships to use the Independence Township Senior Community Center at the same rate as Independence Township residents. Current rates are:
$15 per person
$25 per couple
For questions please contact the Senior Community Center at 248-625-8231